Friday, October 31, 2008

School

I’m attending Delhi Public School of Ranchi and the kids in my class are probably a year and a half ahead of me in Math and Science. If they are that smart they have got to be incredibly well behaved in class right? Wrong there is no order in the class room and it is even more hectic considering there is no teacher in the room half the time. So how are all the kids so smart? No it is not that every Indian is born a genius. The answer is in how much time they study and go to tutors. School is just a place to go to see where you rank among other students. Students here have to work hard since school after 12th grade is very hard and getting into and college is the only way to get a decent job in India.
The teachers speak in English to teach the lessons but I can only understand the English teacher more then half the time. The Indian accent is very hard to understand sometimes but trying to understand an accent won’t be my problem soon as I’m slowly picking up more and more Hindi. Hindi is spoken when ever people aren’t answering question or teaching lessons in school. So when ever the teacher makes a joke I don’t understand it. When the kids are studying math I either try to keep up, study history, work on art (doodles) or work on my Hindi (mostly work on my Hindi).
For P.E. the class just goes out and plays football (soccer) and the teacher will just bring us the ball and leave. There are some really good football players but I’m not out of my league. Football is the best part of the school day. The only thing about football I’m not looking forward to is when summer comes back around the kids are playing in sweater vest and I’m dying heat in my shirt.
We have to wear school uniforms which I thought wouldn’t be all the bad. I was wrong; currently every body is dress in all white with black shoes and striped sock. Soon we will switch to the winter uniforms in which we will wear a sweater vest or a blazer, thick grey pants, wool socks, and a tie. I will have a hard time with the winter uniforms since the winters here are like Alaskan summers on the warmest days. I will try to modify everything so that I can enjoy the whole experience.

No comments: